Friday, January 29, 2010

"Show Us Your Life: Fashion Tips..."

Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner


This week's topic is sharing your Fashion Tips... Hummm?!... Where should I start??...



I like to think of myself as a fashion-savvy person... You could also say I'm very opinionated & know what I like and don't like. So here are my fashion tips to live by... take 'em or leave 'em...



TIP #1- **Splurge on key pieces of your wardrobe & you can be thriftier on the rest! I believe there are a few essential items every woman should own AND spend a little more money on... These are my TOP 5!...



1) A great everyday purse- (yes, I admit I am a little bit of a purse-addict) but they really are good investments! You use one everyday, so why not get something you love & that will last?! Plus, I am a firm believer that you can throw on a pair of jeans, a plain t-shirt, & a great, expensive bag and look super chic! ;) In my opinion, you can never go wrong with a Louis Vuitton! ;) ... Special occasion/going out bags or real trendy stuff that will be out of style next year, you can just buy at TJ Maxx, Target or Forever 21!
2) Black heels- no matter if it's patent leather, peep-toe, pointy-toe, or round-toe; every lady needs a great pair of black heels (or in my case 10)! My fav is the black leather peep-toe. It's great for going out on the town, work, church & even with jeans! Just make sure you spend the $money$ on a good, comfy pair! I've learned not to even waste my money on cheap, uncomfortable shoes that end up hurting your feet.
3) A great wool coat- C'mon ladies... we're not 18 anymore walking around downtown in a spaghetti strap shirt in the middle of winter with no jacket on! Spend some money on a great jacket & stop looking like an idiot in the freezing cold! My favorite is a single-breasted, wool peacoat... If you can only get one, I suggest a tan or winter white color that will go with black or brown.

4) A fitted, white button-up shirt- (especially if you're a career woman, this is a MUST!)... For some people they might feel their best in jeans & a t-shirt or a sexy little black dress... for me, I feel my most sexiest & feminine in a crisp, fitted, white button-up shirt, a knee-length pencil skirt, high heels, & a wide belt cinched at the waist! I'm getting myself excited just thinking about it! LOL... Is that weird? :) I love the ones they have at Ann Taylor! No matter where you get it, just make sure it's not see through, fitted, & has a strong collar.




5) A great fitting black blazer- This is another fav of mine! A black blazer can be dressed up or down... Aside from a solid work staple, you can put it over a cocktail dress at night or pair it with jeans, a white top & your black heels & you're good to go! ;)



TIP #2- **Have fun with the extras!... Personally, my fashion wardrobe mainly consists of what I like to think of as "fashion basics"... I have a ton of basic pieces like solid color cashmere sweaters, plain, everyday cotton tees & tanks, timeless dresses & skirts, jeans, & dress pants... then I just play those basics up with purses, shoes, & jewelry!


I am a firm believer that accessories you might think not go with anything at all actually go with everything! For example, a pair of leopard print or red shoes or an off the wall colored purse...






Leopard print shoes can not only be worn with your basic black, but throw them on with a fun colored dress too!...


You can totally spice up your casual look too!... I love this as an everyday "around town" outfit! My leopard everyday shoes are ballet flats though! ;)




Here's an example how a fun colored bag can be worn... You don't always have to "match" people!! Have fun with it!...








My favorite "fun" bag is this white Coach with giant green C's all over it! I was a little hesitant at first spending as much on a "non-classic" bag but over the years, this has been the one I turn to the most to "add a little extra pop of color" to a basic outfit... :)








This is a great example of how to take everyday, basic pieces & turn up the volume with fun extras!!...

TIP #3- **Don't hide behind "TOO MUCH"!... There's nothing I hate more, than when I see girls putting on "too much"!!... Too much jewelry, too much make-up, too much hair, too much cleavage- you name it! Ladies, don't disguise your true beauty behind all that craziness!! When in doubt just remember the words of Coco Chanel, "Take one piece off before you leave the house"... or cover it up!







1 comment: